Why is it so important to exfoliate the skin?
We have just launched Calm Enzyme Peel , an enzymatic peel capable of performing a respectful but effective exfoliation, revealing luminous skin with a soft texture. So let's take the opportunity to remember everything that exfoliation can do for your skin and the doubts that most commonly assail us on this topic.
The skin renews itself, that's a fact. In reality, every minute healthy skin loses between 30 and 40,000 dead cells . Nothing is going to happen to us if we don't exfoliate. But as the years go by, our skin loses the ability to renew itself effectively and it becomes more difficult to get rid of the dead cells that accumulate on the surface of the skin and cause:
- It looks duller and has less life.
- pores become clogged and acne breakouts, comedones and blackheads appear.
- there is greater hyperpigmentation.
- Any treatment we apply afterwards will be less effective.
The skin needs a little help to exfoliate correctly and this is where exfoliants come into play, which can be chemical, physical or enzymatic . In our case, we have chosen an enzymatic exfoliant because it provides an exfoliation suitable for sensitive skin but without losing effectiveness.
Benefits of exfoliating the face
Exfoliating the skin is a gesture that many people tend to ignore but that should not be that way at all . It is a step that - carried out from time to time - will add a lot to your routine in the short, medium and long term. These are some of the benefits of exfoliating your face:
- The pores are cleaner and therefore less visible . This also prevents the appearance of blackheads, ingrown hairs and acne breakouts.
- Stimulates cell regeneration, refining skin texture and revealing more uniform, luminous and healthy skin .
- Prevents skin aging : skin that renews itself faster is skin that stays younger for longer.
- More receptive skin . As the skin is cleaner and dead cells have been removed, the treatments we apply next will penetrate better and be more effective.
FREQUENCY AND TIMING MATTER
We already know that it is important to exfoliate, but not all skin types need to exfoliate with the same frequency . For example, dry skin will not need as much exfoliation and probably once every two weeks will be enough; Oily skin , on the other hand, will require more frequent exfoliation and will probably tolerate up to two a week.
But it is not a fixed rule: your skin may be oily but because of an acne breakout you cannot exfoliate it; or your combination skin is very sensitive for any reason. That is, you have to listen to what your skin tells you and adapt to its needs. That brings us to a warning: be careful with over-exfoliation!; If we exfoliate excessively, we can damage the skin's natural barrier .
EXFOLIATING DURING THE DAY AND OTHER MISTAKES
Let's see, that's not it either. If your skin tolerates it, you can exfoliate during the day. The problem is that when you exfoliate your skin, it is more exposed and can be affected by UV rays, cold, etc. Night is the ideal time because the skin is protected , without being exposed to environmental aggressions. In addition, it uses the hours of sleep to regenerate, so it can regenerate much better without residue on top and with free passage for the products to penetrate better.
Let's see what other things we should NOT do with our scrub :
- Use it when you are in the middle of an acne outbreak.
- Not hydrating afterwards. Nor use SPF with a high protection factor (if it is daytime).
- Apply it around the eyes and lips: they are very delicate areas that can weaken if we exfoliate them.
- Combine two exfoliants in the same routine. (Yes, there are very rude people who use, for example, a chemical exfoliant and a mechanical exfoliant at the same time)
- Apply highly sensitizing products after exfoliating, such as retinol.
With all these tips in mind, you can now consider yourself a pro at exfoliation. Now you just need to get the newCalm Enzyme Peel and happy new skin!